*/

August 19, 2011

Alumni Spotlight - Janeil Jarrett

Recently, I have had the pleasure of communicating with one of our alums, Janeil Jarrett (MSW '67). Mrs. Jarrett attended the School of Social Work in its very formative years and was among the school's 2nd graduating class.

Our first communication came in the form of a handwritten letter, where Mrs. Jarrett detailed her studies at Georgia, her fond memories of the faculty and staff at the School of Social Work and her years of service in the social services field, in defense of children. In her letter, Mrs. Jarrett was kind enough to include a photo, which we have included in this post.

After receiving Mrs. Jarrett's letter, I called her to introduce myself and just catch up on how she's been. I learned that she is currently living in Lenoir, NC and visits Athens regularly to visit her son (a UGA Sociology alum) and his family.

Last week, I was pleased to receive another letter from Mrs. Jarrett, this time with a poem she wrote included. I'll leave you with Mrs. Jarrett's poem, titled, "A Social Worker's Promise."

A Social Worker's Promise

Tell me your dreams
I will not mock or despise them
I will make a climate between us
Like a gardener tending a plant
I will tend your uniqueness
Until the natural force within you
To reach and grow is released
Until you feel with all your being
That you have met one gardener
Who cares about your safety and expression
Who grows with you in the tending

Janiel Jarrett
October 1989

Go Dawgs!

0 comments:

Post a Comment